Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chickens - Again!

Hubby and I have had chickens almost since we bought our 40-acre farm. But one by one we lost most of them. Now, 14 years later, we are down to two, third-generation roosters. We decided to wait a while to get a new batch of chicks so hubs could re-work the existing coop and try to make it more safe from predation. We are vulnerable to racoons, hawks, skunks, and even the occasional mink.

Not much progress has been made in the area of re-vamping the old coop. If I could show you my tapping foot, I would . . . because I am so anxious to get a new crew of chicks. But I do try to be patient with my husband's limited supply of energy and the oh-so-many tasks on his "to do" list.

As it happens, yesterday, my son, who works at Sam's Club here in our fine city, sent me this picture of what they had just received in stock. It's called a Chicken Chalet. Man-o-man did that get my "I want new chickens" juices flowing! As soon as he sent me the picture, I went online to my local store and ordered one for us to pick up. We have to wait two days before we can go get it. Again, I'm trying to be patient. More waiting. Oh boy. (Is this what they call a recurring theme?) In the meantime, while waiting patiently, I will refresh my memory on tending baby chicks and do an inventory of what existing items we  have, what might need mended or replaced, and I will make my list of things I need. Plus! - I get to study what breed of chicken I will order. I am beside myself with anticipation. While this coop will only hold 4-6 chickens, it still means I can get started again this spring with at least a few chickens. Who knows, maybe I'll order more chalets and sprinkle them about the property!

2 comments:

  1. i'd like a chalet plz!
    enjoy yur new pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just the cutest!? Have yet to decide on what breeds. So many to choose from. That's part of the fun tho. :)

      Delete

Thanks for the comment! If it requires a response, I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for reading my blog!